– decrease in diameter of trunk and branches from the base toward the tip.Temporary Branches
– shoots that remain during training of young trees, to be removed as tree matures. Terminal Bud
– bud at the apex of a stem.Tree
- woody vegetation two inches or greater in diameter to be measured at ground level.Tree Protection Zone
– area of tree roots to be designated by fencing to prohibit access during construction activities. Minimum 8-foot radius, or usually 1-foot radius per inch diameter at breast height.Thinning
– selective pruning of entire stems to increase air or light penetration to canopy or to decrease branch weight.Topping
– non-professional pruning technique; non-selective canopy reduction, often destructive to tree.Transpiration
– loss of water vapor from pores in leaves; cooling and nutrient transport process.